If you’re looking to protect your wooden surfaces, you may have heard about UV cured urethane finishes. UV cured urethane finishes are a popular choice for wooden surfaces because they are durable and withstand wear and tear. In this article, we will explore UV cured urethane finishes, how they work, and why they are beneficial for protecting your wooden surfaces.
What is a UV cured urethane finish?
A UV cured urethane finish is a coating that protects wooden surfaces from damage due to environmental factors such as water, sunlight, and scratches. The finish is a type of paint that uses ultraviolet (UV) light to cure the coating. The coating is applied to the surface of the wood, and when it is exposed to UV light, it quickly dries and cures.
How does a UV cured urethane finish work?
UV cured urethane finishes work by reacting to UV light. Once applied to a wooden surface, the finish is exposed to UV light, which activates the curing process. When the finish is exposed to UV light, it quickly dries and cures, creating a protective layer over the wooden surface. The finish is ideal for wooden surfaces that are exposed to the sun, as it protects the wood from harmful UV rays that can cause discoloration and damage to the surface.
Why is a UV cured urethane finish beneficial for wooden surfaces?
There are several benefits of using a UV cured urethane finish on wooden surfaces. Some of the benefits include:
1. Protection from water damage – UV cured urethane finishes are highly resistant to water. This makes them an excellent choice for use on wooden surfaces that are exposed to water, such as decks, patios, and outdoor furniture.
2. Protection from UV damage – UV rays can cause discoloration and damage to wooden surfaces, particularly those exposed to direct sunlight. UV cured urethane finishes protect the wood from UV damage, ensuring that the surface remains in good condition for longer.
3. Enhanced durability – UV cured urethane finishes are extremely durable and can withstand wear and tear. They are resistant to scratches and other damage, making them an excellent choice for high-traffic areas.
4. Improved appearance – UV cured urethane finishes create a glossy, smooth finish that enhances the appearance of wooden surfaces. They can be used to enhance the natural beauty of the wood, making it look more vibrant and attractive.
How to apply a UV cured urethane finish
Applying a UV cured urethane finish to a wooden surface is a relatively simple process. However, it is essential to follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully to ensure that the finish is applied correctly. Here are the basic steps for applying a UV cured urethane finish:
1. Prepare the surface – Before applying the finish, you must prepare the surface by sanding it down and removing any dirt, debris, or old finish.
2. Apply the finish – Once the surface is prepared, apply the UV cured urethane finish to the wood using a brush or a paint sprayer. Apply the finish in thin, even coats, ensuring that you cover the entire surface.
3. Allow the finish to dry – After applying the finish, allow it to dry and cure. The length of time it takes to dry will depend on the manufacturer’s instructions.
4. Sand the surface – Once the finish is dry, sand the surface lightly to remove any bumps or imperfections.
5. Apply a second coat – If necessary, apply a second coat of UV cured urethane finish to the surface. Follow the same process as before, applying the finish in thin, even coats.
In conclusion, UV cured urethane finishes are an excellent choice for protecting your wooden surfaces. They offer enhanced durability, protection from water and UV damage, and improved appearance. While applying the finish can be a bit of a process, the benefits are well worth the effort. If you’re looking to protect your wooden surfaces, consider using a UV cured urethane finish.